Sunday 25 May 2014

NYX Primers - Pore Filler & Photo-Loving Primer

Today, I have some beautiful base products to show you. I finished up my favourite L’Oreal Base Magique Primer and was looking for something new. I love the pore filling and mattifying effect so was looking for something similar when I came across the NYX Pore Filler. Side note: There is also a sister primer called Shine Killer, I always want to give them ghetto names and call them Pore Filla and Shine Killa…. listening to too much rap lately maybe? I also spotted the Studio Perfect Photo-Loving Primer and popped that into the shopping basket too. 

The Brand – NYX (pronounced “niks”)

As a teen, Toni K (founder of NYX) dreamt of a range of colourful, affordable cosmetics. In 1994, her dream became a reality and NYX was born in sunny Los Angeles. It has thankfully made its way to Australian shores and is available in Target and some pharmacies, with some products also available in online stores (I got mine from Lipstick Republic during their New Year’s Sale, win!). They have a really good range of products and continue to grow. I’m a big fan of the lip colours and blushes. They are also cruelty free (yay for the bunnies!).


The Products – Pore Filler ($21.95 for 20ml)

Very chic black & white packaging to start off with, nice and simple. It does have a twisty top in a really awkward oblong shape which I hate! I don’t like trying to get product out with the cap in one hand then trying to get it back on without dropping everything, it’s too much for my (lack of) coordination skills. The description on the tube says it’s a “magical agent that minimizes the look of pores”, any product beauty with the word magical in the title is ok in my books! The actual product is pink/peach coloured and it’s really more of a mousse than a liquid. It’s quite dense though and a lot of air comes out with the product when you squeeze it out. It blends out really well and doesn’t leave any colour trace but it does dramatically reduce the appearance of pores and mattify, win and win!

The Products – Photo-Loving Primer ($19.95 for 20ml)

Does this look suspiciously like the Smashbox Photo Finish Primers to anyone else? I haven’t used the Photo Finish Colour Correcting (green) Smashbox one before but apparently this is a decent dupe. There are three primers in this range designed to combat a variety of skin complaints, this green one is intended to combat redness. Initially, I was very worried (as was my mother!) that this green would be visible to the skin but it blends away completely. I’m not sure if that negates the point of having a green colouring or not? I’m not really sure about the “reducing redness” aspect, maybe slightly but not so much that it’s immediately noticeable. It has a kind of powdery or silky feel on the skin and a nice mattifying touch. I think it helps keep my makeup looking better for longer, it’s not perfect by any means but it is pretty darn good!
Pore Filler on the left and Photo-Loving Primer on the right.
Using the products

I apply the Pore Filler first, before anything else in my makeup routine. A little goes a long way and I only apply to my nose, chin and forehead as they are most “porey” areas. I follow with the Photo-Loving Primer. I dot a little over my face then rub in using my fingertips.  A tip for the Photo-Loving Primer, make sure you shake it first otherwise you get a weird runny liquid before the actual product comes out, kind of like if you don’t shake tomato sauce before using it. This one does have a bit of a stange powdery feel to it but it doesn’t look powdery at all and you can’t notice anything once foundation has been applied. 

Overall Score

Pore Filler
The Good
Very affordable.
A little goes a long way.
Does a good job both with mattifying and reducing pore size
The Bad 
Weird mousse texture, doesn't come out easily.
Awkward screw top. 
  


Photo-Loving Primer

The Good
Also very affordable.
Good all-round primer.
Mattifying. 

The Bad
Have to remember to shake before use.
Doesn't actively reduce redness.
Awkward screw top. 





KaBOOM! Cosmetics gives NYX Pore Filler and Photo-Loving Primer:

So there you have if for the ghetto primer Pore Filla and his homie Photo-Loving Primer (there is no way to gangsta-fy that). I like them and I think they both do a good job, I think I like the Pore Filler better though, I feel the Photo-Loving Primer could do a lot more BUT both are worth a try. Hit me up with your favourite primers, with accompanying ghetto names if possible. 

Stay beautiful!

Dani xx


3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the second one but I have tried the Pore Filler and wasn't all that impressed. I find I have to be careful what kind of foundation I use on top of it.. sometimes it goes all icky on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Jas! It made my foundation separate and look absolutely foul :( Considering just throwing it out because I wear foundation daily. :(

      Delete
  2. The Photo-Loving primer is actually not bad, the powdery finish is a little odd though. And I know what you mean about Pore Filler, it seems to kind of separate with some foundations.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @soratemplates