Thursday 22 May 2014

Dirty Works - Buttery Salt Scrub & Body Butter

I had my eye on these for a while before they FINALLY showed up in my local Coles. I was positively itching to get my hands on them, I love a good scrub and I’m a sucker for a body butter. I’m always on the lookout for decent skincare products that don’t cost the earth and it’s great that I can throw them in with my regular grocery shop. Read on to find out more!

The Brand – Dirty Works

I originally thought that these were a Coles brand when I first heard of them but Dirty Works in actually a UK based brand. There isn’t a lot of information available about them but what is available suggests a fun, glamorous and affordable brand dedicated to making people feel good. The more I see of them, the more I want to try their other products! At the moment, I think only a few select products are available in Australia (via Coles), let’s hope they decide to expand here! I think they are definitely a brand to watch. Very interestingly, Dirty Works seems to base a lot of their ideas on Soap & Glory, the packaging and products are veery similar. I am a big fan of Soap & Glory so I’m keen to see how they stack up. 

The Products – Glow Girl Buttery Salt Scrub ($9.77 for 300ml)

Before I bought this, I was using the Soap & Glory Flake Away Body Polish and now I’m not sure which I like better! They smell quite similar, quite fruity and fresh but while the S&G version is sugary, this one is creamy. The best way I can think to describe the texture is when you’re at the beach and you get sand in your sunscreen. While that’s a terrible feeling at the beach (like sandpapering your skin!), this is a bit more gentle owing to the more moisturising cream surrounding the grains (sunscreen + sand is not the best or most gentle exfoliator!). As for the packaging, it’s extremely similar to S&G with the little retro themed tubs but I like them. The packaging for the Salt Scrub has a little black & white photo of a retro pin-up girl in vintage swimmers which I love, some good attention to detail there. 

The Products – Supreme Cream Body Butter ($9.77 for 300ml)

This body butter is delicious, I think it comes in a very close second to my favourite, the Sportsgirl Butter Dream. This one is packed with essential oils like Shea butter and sweet almond to keep skin hydrated. It’s not quite as thick as I am used to seeing in a body butter, it’s similar to regular moisturisers but I think it does provide better hydration. The scent is a very light and pleasantly sweet. The packaging is almost identical to the Buttery Salt Scrub but minus the retro pin up girl photo.
How to use

I like to apply a generous dollop of the Buttery Salt Scrub to my legs or arms while in the shower or bath.  The instructions on the tub say to massage in gentle circular motions, I usually just give a good old up & down scrub and then work a little more on any areas with very dry skin. If you massage gently, you shouldn’t have any problems but I would avoid being too vigorous as I think this is the kind of scrub that could do some damage if you get too enthusiastic! 

Dirty Works recommends following the Salt Scrub with the Body Butter and I like it when my products have a friend so I always put these two together. The Body Butter absorbs really quickly and doesn’t take much working, I guess because of the slightly thinner formula. I really love how soft my skin feels after using these two products together. They are light enough to use in summer without feeling weighed down or greasy. I think that I would probably like to use a heavier body butter in winter as I get very dry skin on my arms and legs but for now, I am very happy to keep using this combo. 

Overall Score

Glow Girl Buttery Salt Scrub
The Good
Smells good!
Good texture.
Awesome retro packaging.
Affordable. 
Readily available at Coles. 
The Bad
Exfoliating grains are quite rough, not for sensitive skin.




 Supreme Cream Body Butter
The Good
Also smells good.
Light enough for summer.
Absorbs well.
Provides a good level of hydration.
The Bad
I wouldn't class it as a true body butter.  






Kaboom Cosmetics gives Dirty Works Buttery Salt Scrub & Body Butter:  
All in all, a good little dry-skin-fighting combo. Light, pleasant and very affordable! I think these two will be taking up permanent residency bringing the total number of British imports in our household up to three (including the boyfriend, he’ll be pleased with the company, I’m sure!). Have you tried the Dirty Works range yet? Let me know what you thought.

Stay beautiful!

Dani xx

3 comments:

  1. I love this stuff, I have the tube in this salt scrub and have tried the coconut one too, I have the coconut body butter and you are right not a true body butter but still lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think I tube would be a much better idea that a tub, much more convinient! I'd also love to try the coconut range, it's sounds delicious too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Alissa! My local Coles took forever to get Dirty Work in

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @soratemplates