Thursday 15 May 2014

Clarisonic Mia

Today’s post is an introduction to the world of sonic cleansing. I’m sure that marketing companies want you to think that a troupe of people in little white coats spend ages poring (hehe, excuse the pun) over complicated sciency things to create the facial cleansing brush. My version is that someone had a few too many drinks one night and in their inebriated state, tried to use their electric toothbrush on their face. They were so pleased with the results that they invented the facial cleansing brush (after a trip to KFC for a hangover-curing bucket of chicken). Maybe that’s not 100% true but regardless, the world of sonic cleansing is ever expanding, with new players entering the game all the time. But the original, the Holy Grail of sonic cleansing is the Clarisonic Mia.

The Brand - Clarisonic

Clarisonic is a fairly new brand, founded in Seattle in 2001 by a team of scientists and engineers. Top on their list of things to do was to combine technology and innovation to create beautiful (and possibly slightly magical) skincare products. In 2004, they launched the Clarisonic Cleansing System, which has continued to flourish with the introduction of new products and state-of-the-art beauty solutions. They also (and this makes me really love them) have a 90 Day Feel & See Guarantee: if you are in any way unhappy with your Clarisonic product, you can return it for a full refund. There are a lot of online stores selling the Clarisonic, but I got mine from the Clarisonic website and I would recommend that you purchase yours there too. There is no guarantee that products purchased elsewhere are genuine and there are a LOT of dodgy dealers out there. The 90 Day Guarantee only applies to products purchased from authorised stockists. I know that Abigail at the Shrinking Wallet got a bogus Clarisonic from eBay so be careful!

The Product – Clarisonic Mia ($139.00)

I was very hesitant about purchasing the Mia. I faffed around for weeks, researching and delving deep into the mysteries of sonic cleansing. I was worried I was forking out my hard earned dollars for a silly product that would be as useful as a chocolate teapot. I read reviews where people said they developed patches of rough, dry skin, the pictures were almost enough to put me off my dinner! But I went ahead and told the good people at Clarisonic to send me a Mia, tout de suite! 

It arrived packed up in a box with plenty of foam to keep it safe along with an instruction manual. I also received a very useful e-mail titled “Are you using your Clarisonic correctly?” with some extra tips. I went for the original Mia, but there are many variations, including the Mia 2 and the Clarisonic Plus for Body. The Mia comes in a choice of white or pink (I got pink) while the Mia 2 and Limited Editions come in a rainbow of colours.

My Clarisonic Mia

When the Mia arrives, Clarisonic recommends that you charge it for 24 hours before using. I have to say, I love the charger! It’s magnetic so you don’t have to plug it into the Mia, it just sticks on and charges away and it holds charge for about 2 weeks with a once-a-day use. It also comes with one brush head (I got the sensitive) which should be replaced every 3 months. The Mia is completely waterproof and I have had no issues with keeping it in the shower. 

Using the product

Once your Mia has charged for the initial 24 hours, it is good to go and using it could not be simpler. Clarisonic recommends removing eye make up by hand first (trust me, you do not want this thing near your eyeballs!). I just do my normal makeup removal routine before using the Clarisonic. You then apply a cleanser of choice either to the brush or your face. Clarisonic included their own brand cleanser, the Gentle Hydro Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, but I’m not a fan. It’s quite thick and creamy and I prefer foaming cleansers so I use either the Formula 10.0.6 Best Face Forward or the Body Shop Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash. Then press the power button and away you go! The cleansing pattern recommended by Clarisonic is shown below and the Mia will automatically turn off after a minute so you don’t get too carried away. Then just give the brush a good rinse and continue with your normal skin care routine. Too easy!
The Clarisonic Gentle Hydro Cleaner, Body Shop Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash & Formula 10.0.6 Best Face Forward Cleanser.
I am a Clarisonic fan and not afraid to say so. I know a lot of people don’t like this little gadget and to be honest, I’m sure if I honestly believe that it’s the “sonic power” of the Clarisonic that makes it work or the brush head BUT I don’t really care which it is because it works for me! My skin does feel much better since I started using this and I am going to continue to preach its virtues to anyone who will listen.

Overall Score 

The Good
Deep cleanses and gently exfoliates.
 Easy to use.
Convenient for travelling.

The Bad
Expensive.
Some people experience a purging period.
 Overuse can cause dry skin.

KaBOOM! Cosmetics gives the Clarisonic Mia:
Still umm-ing and ahh-ing over a Mia? Or do you have one already and love it/hate it/will never be parted from it? Let me know in the comments section.

Stay beautiful!

Dani xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us @soratemplates